Saturday, May 10, 2008

My New Toy

Did I say I am getting a new surfboard? Yeah, just went pick it up this morning. Took an hour scenic drive to San Diego. I drove on 5 South and see waves breaking on the ocean, near by Camp Pendleton. Just told myself, it is going to be a fine day to surf. I bought the board from the UCSD's Muir Surf and Skate shop and the guy who runs the shop there is really nice. He forgot he ordered a Walden for me and was suprise to see the brand name on it. It supposed to be a really good brand. He even helped me put the fins on and waxed it for me. He suggested that I try it out across the street on Black Beach, 7 minutes walk away . He offered to loan me a wetsuit and a leash too but I got all that with me in my little Prius so I gracefully declined it. Yep, I put on my wetsuit, carry my spankingly new board across the street to the beach, thinking it is a piece of cake 7 minutes walk like I was told. Dude, it was more like half a mile down the long cliff while carryin my 9'6" longboard. Well I finally made it. It is an awesome, gorgeous looking beach with tall cliff on one side and ocean on the other. Beautiful, multi-million dollars mansions lined the cliff side. The perfect blue sky is dotted with colorful hanggliders and parasailers, gliding around like flocks of sea gulls on the windy Torrey Pine cliff. What an beautiful sight. I wished I had a camera with me. Next time, but you can enjoy this picture I downloaded from the web.

Black Beach



I hit the water with my new stick and you know what, I caught the first wave right away. And a second and third. Wow, what an awesome board. It really makes me look good since I think I am just so so in my ability. The guys on the short boards near by kept jealously looking at me since I kept catching waves and ride. So good for the start because after that, the waves begun to get choppy and sectioned. It was hard to catch a good one. I ventured out trying to catch some big ones but they drizzled out before coming any closer. I made a mistake went back in too close to the beach and get pounded by the beach breaks. It sucks to get pounded and tumbled around. I stick around for a while, trying to catch another ride but the condition did not improve. I called it a day and paddled in. Got a so so wave to glide me back in to the sandy beach. Now I have to carry my longboard up the steep slope half mile to my car. Just said it took a while and my legs was burning. I drove back to OC uneventfully.

That's was it. Just a small day but got to check out my new stick. Got a few pix here to share with you. The board is concaved in in the underside upfront to help with your nose riding. The rail in the back is tucked in, V shaped to allow you to make quick turns. You can kind of see the contour of the rail on the underside pictures. Did I mention it was very easy to paddle too? Great board. Love it.



My brand new Walden Magic stick, waxed







Magic Model Logo




The business side





The tail end








No comments: